a) Online TEFL Courses:
Once accepted and enrollment fees are paid, admission to the program is final. Whereas there is no penalty for failing to complete a course once enrolled, if you fail, or do not complete the course, you will not be eligible for a refund of any enrollment or other fees paid.
b) Onsite TEFL Courses:
Once accepted and 25% of the total fees are paid, refunds are not allowed. The remaining 75% of the program fees are due at the latest 30 calendar days before the first day of classes. If the remainder is not paid on time, you will forfeit your 25% deposit completely. MyTEFL reserves the right to cancel onsite courses up to 20 calendar days before classes commence for any reason it deems fit. In this case, all students will be notified via the email address they registered with, and a full refund of fees paid will be issued within 10 business days. FLE will not be held liable for any inconvenience, travel plans, costs (financial or otherwise) that may arise from a cancellation of a course. In the case where FLE refers a student to an external course (without accepting any sort of remuneration or payment from a student), FLE will not be held liable or be involved in any way if the student decides to work directly with a referral.
c) Internship Programs:
A non-refundable deposit (as listed per internship) is required to book any of our Internship programs. Upon booking, students are enrolled in a 120 Hour online TEFL course if applicable. The outstanding balance of the program fee is due:
1. Thailand: 90 days before Departure Date
2. South Africa: 60 days before Departure Date
3. Argentina: 7 days after the video interview
4. Mexico: 7 days after the video interview
Applicants understand that there will be a review of submitted documentation and an interview process to determine eligibility for program acceptance. If the applicant is found unsuitable for the program, a full refund of all fees and deposits paid will be made within 10 business days of the decision. Access to the 120 Hour TEFL course will be halted immediately unless the applicant agrees to pay a (discounted) price for the course itself.
If the applicants have completed the course by the time they are notified of the negative decision, they will be refunded for all the fees and deposits except for the price of the course itself.
FLE will do its utmost to ensure a decision on application status is made within 14 days of receiving the booking fee, generally much quicker.
Once the applicants have confirmed their internship start date and paid the internship fee in full (deposit and outstanding balance), no refund or start date deferral requests will be accepted by FLE.
If the applicants are admitted into the program, and their selected start date is deferred by FLE for more than 90 days, they will be offered a later start date or a full refund of all fees and deposits except for the price of the course itself.
Participating in a practicum does include an application process. If students are not accepted, a full refund of the $139 practicum fee will be applied within 3 business days of MyTEFL being informed by the institution.
Once a student is accepted into the program, there will be no refunds provided. Students who drop out of the program midway will not be provided with a refund and will not be granted any credit for hours completed. Students who are removed from the program for misconduct will also not be eligible for a refund or credit.